A recent survey has revealed that India added 2,247 MW of solar capacity during the months of July-September that is a 15.40 percent of growth in comparison to addition of 1,947 MW in the second quarter of 2017.As per a survey by Mercom Capital, the cumulative installed capacity from January to September is 7,149 MW including the 2,247 MW capacity from July to September.
“With over 7,149 MW, solar is now the leading new energy source in India, accounting for 39 per cent of total new power capacity additions in the first nine months of 2017,” the report said.The report further showed that in the third quarter, 1,982 MW of solar capacity was accounted by large-scale solar projects and constituted 88 per cent of the installations, while only 265 MW of rooftop installations were made that made up the remaining 12 per cent.
“Large-scale installations doubled year-on-year and rose 15 per cent from the second quarter to the third quarter,” it said.Mercom added that utility-scale projects will add around 11,500 MW of solar capacity with another 5,600 MW of tenders waiting for auction.
“Even though the Indian solar market is on pace for a record-breaking year, the momentum has definitely slowed,” Mercom Capital Group CEO, Raj Prabhu said.
He further added that around 1000MW of large-scale-solar projects are already complete but they are not connected to the grid and these factors are likely to bring down the addition of solar capacity in fourth quarter.
The report also said that as a consequence of 14 per cent increase in Chinese module prices, the pending anti-dumping case, PPA re-negotiations in some states, incomplete infrastructure, evacuation issues, port customs duty, and ambiguity about GST, the solar sector has faced many difficulties during the third quarter of 2017.
“All of these factors collectively lead to an overall slowdown in installations and a slowdown in tenders and auctions, resulting in a reduction in the installation forecasts for 2017 and 2018,” it said.
According to the reports, it is forecasted that India will get installations ranging from 9,500 MW to 10,000 MW in the full calendar year 2017 and about 7,000 MW in 2018.
Mercom India’s managing director Priya Sanjay said that it is challenging to pin down the exact number of installations as many projects get completed but stays stranded and unable to commission because of evacuation delays. This depends more on what gets connected to the grid by the year’s end.